Museum Tour Guide Volunteer
Our volunteers are at the forefront of visitor experience at the Brunel Museum and we are now offering an exciting new opportunity to join the team and train as a museum tour guide, delivering talks about the Thames Tunnel’s history to the public and for our private group bookings. This role will support the museum’s expanded activity programme, whilst offering the chance to learn skills, gain experience and meet new people.
The Brunel Museum celebrates the Thames Tunnel – one of the greatest Victorian engineering achievements and the first successful underwater tunnel in the world.
Our volunteers are at the forefront of visitor experience at the Brunel Museum and we are now able to offer a wider range of exciting new volunteering opportunities. These roles will support the museum’s expanded activity programme, whilst offering the chance to learn skills, gain experience and meet new people.
We’re looking for engaging and enthusiastic individuals to deliver guided tours of the Brunel Museum to visitors, at least once a month, during our Guided Tour Weekends and on our regular opening days. With further training, guides can also give tours to private group bookings outside of our regular opening hours and deliver talks on the Thames Tunnel’s history at external venues.
(Please see website for our full opening times and Guided Tour Weekend dates).
- Provide a warm welcome to all visitors on arrival, whether at the reception desk or elsewhere onsite
- Introduce visitors to the Brunel Museum and the Thames Tunnel story
- Deliver 30 to 45-minute guided tours to visitors in both the museum’s Engine House exhibition and Grade II* listed Thames Tunnel Shaft (training provided)
- (With additional training) deliver tours for private group bookings outside of our ordinary opening hours
- (With additional training) deliver talks on the Thames Tunnel at other venues
- Encourage and invite donations from visitors
Want to know more?
Download the job description for full details 2023-02-16 Tour Guide Volunteer role description
Ready to apply?
Please complete the attached form and return to the Brunel Museum firstname.lastname@example.org
What we can offer
- A friendly, supportive environment and an opportunity to learn about the Brunels and the Thames Tunnel (no prior knowledge required)
- An award-winning team of museum volunteers
- Volunteer buddy system with existing volunteers welcoming and supporting new volunteers in their roles
- Training opportunities through attending external courses and receiving in-house training relevant to your role
- Volunteers’ get-togethers and thank you events
- Flexibility and volunteer shifts to suit your availability
- Opportunities to share your views and provide suggestions / input.
- An occasion to give back to the community
- Valuable experience at an accredited museum for your career development
Conditions of work
- Must be available on at least one Saturday / Sunday a month from either 10:30am to 2:30pm or 1:30pm to 5pm
- Wider availability throughout the week and on our regular open days (Fridays, Sundays, Mondays) also ideal
- This is a voluntary position, but expenses can be covered
- Reporting to the Museum Director