Meet Isambard Kingdom Brunel in our popular Key Stage One and Key Stage Two workshops! Discover why he is called the man who changed the world: who changed the shape of our cities and how we live, who even changed time and joined continents together.
This two-hour session begins in our river gardens with Isambard Kingdom Brunel ‘in person’. He describes how he built the world: bridges, tunnels, steamships, locomotives, railways and hospitals. He built the fastest railway in the world. He built the biggest ship in the world three times. He takes groups along the river for the best view of the most famous bridge in the world, and explains why he loves it. He takes groups into an underground chamber which is the birthplace of the world city. He describes how he nearly drowned there – don’t worry it’s quite safe now. Mr Brunel can also visit your school, check out Brunel makes Tracks, or we can guide you through London in Brunel makes Waves.
Session times and cost
Weekdays, 10:00am – 12:00pm or 12:00pm – 2:00pm.
£200 per session up to 30 children. £350 for 2 sessions (2 x 30 children) on the same day. Teachers free.
How to book
To book, please email three preferred dates and the number of pupils you wish to bring to email@example.com or telephone 020 7231 3840
- There are toilets but no lunch facilities at the museum
- A small lunch area on the ground floor or the picnic area in the Museum gardens can be used by visiting school groups
- The main building and toilets are fully accessible.
- The underground chamber has a spacious and fully accessible viewing platform. The lower level of the chamber is only accessible by 35 steps.
- Museum staff are happy to help you plan your visit to ensure that it meets your group’s needs.